The Marley® NC Alpha from SPX Cooling Technologies is a steel structure, splash fill, factory assembled crossflow cooling tower, designed to serve “dirty water” cooling systems which would place the long term operation of a film-fill cooling tower in jeopardy. With shorter lead times and the elimination of stick-built field-assembly labor, the NC Alpha cooling tower offers distinct advantages for industries where dirty water warrants a splash-fill cooling tower. The NC Alpha is the ideal replacement for splash fill applications previously utilized by the Series 10/15 cooling tower line. Splash fill has the longest history of successful use in the cooling tower industry. Its wide spacing discourages clogging, and its stout construction can withstand repeated cleaning of deposits associated with the circulating water quality. Since 1969 the Marley NC factory-assembled cooling tower has proven to be a leader in thousands of installations. Now available with splash fill, the NC Alpha cooling tower can be utilized in dirty water applications serving pulp and paper, sugar mills, food processing, steel and automotive applications.
The Marley® NC Alpha from SPX Cooling Technologies is a steel structure, splash fill, factory assembled crossflow cooling tower, designed to serve “dirty water” cooling systems which would place the long term operation of a film-fill cooling tower in jeopardy. With shorter lead times and the elimination of stick-built field-assembly labor, the NC Alpha cooling tower offers distinct advantages for industries where dirty water warrants a splash-fill cooling tower.
The NC Alpha is the ideal replacement for splash fill applications previously utilized by the Series 10/15 cooling tower line.
Splash fill has the longest history of successful use in the cooling tower industry. Its wide spacing discourages clogging, and its stout construction can withstand repeated cleaning of deposits associated with the circulating water quality. Since 1969 the Marley NC factory-assembled cooling tower has proven to be a leader in thousands of installations. Now available with splash fill, the NC Alpha cooling tower can be utilized in dirty water applications serving pulp and paper, sugar mills, food processing, steel and automotive applications.
Low Maintenance/Less Downtime
The Marley NC cooling tower is one of the few tower configurations that can be maintained while operating, allowing cleaning and inspecting the distribution system without requiring the pumps to be turned off. Plus, the standard gear drive system can operate for 5 years without an oil change or loss of efficiency. A tremendous advantage over a belt drive system which will require periodic belt replacement and adjustment. All this means less downtime which is especially important for mission or production critical facilities.
Quiet by Design
All Marley NC cooling towers are designed for low sound levels. Models using the Quiet fan option are configured with the best available combination of low noise premium efficiency motors, quiet drive reduction with matched gear sets, and high solidity premium efficiency fans. In concert, these components provide quiet operation for all but the most strict requirements and specifications. Sound attenuation is also an option.
Long Life Construction
Rugged G235 heavy mill galvanized steel is standard with 300 series stainless steel as an optional upgrade to part or the entire tower structure. Marley ISO certified plants assure quality factory-assembly. Plus, the NC stainless steel cooling tower comes with SPX Cooling Technologies’ exclusive 5-year limited warranty.
Low Operating Costs
Marley high-efficiency alpha splash-fill and fans, gravity-flow water distribution, and efficient mechanical drive systems work together to offer maximum cooling with minimum power use.
All Season Performance
Performs as specified in the heat of summer — responds well to energy-management techniques in the spring and fall.
Air Movement Package
- Removable fan guard welded heavy gauge rods. Hot dip galvanized after fabrication.
- Eased inlet fan cylinder ensures full area, low turbulent airflow through the cylinder.
- High efficiency fan wide-chord design for maximum efficiency at low fan tip speeds.
- Marley System 5 Geareducer® drive requires no oil changes for five full years. Offers significant savings in maintenance costs. Marley SofTork coupling absorbs excessive shock loads at start-up and is specifically designed for Variable Frequency Drive operation
- Marley PowerBelt™ drive (available on any model up to 60hp) easy belt replacement and 40,000-hour bearing life.
- TEFC Fan Motor 1.15 service factor, variable torque, and specially insulated for cooling tower duty for extended life.
- The NC air movement package including the structural support guaranteed against failure for a period of five full years. The motor is warranted separately by the motor manufacturer.
Water Distribution System
- Multiple piping options single inlet, dual inlet, top, side inlet, side outlet or bottom outlet designed to have the right connections for your application.
- Gravity flow distribution system allows easy, nonrestrictive, on-line maintenance. Basin covers are standard and can be used as a walking surface with guardrail option.
- Marley Spiral Target polypropylene nozzles delivers precise distribution of water over the fill area.
- Marley Alpha PVC Splash fill supported by steel fill bar supports conforming to basin material type.
- Drift Eliminators Eliminators with rates as low as .001% of the design flow rate. are available on many models in standard configuration.
- Crossflow configuration provides easier and safer on-line maintenance.
- Steel Construction G-235 heavy mill galvanized steel construction standard. Series 300 stainless steel optional.
- Factory assembled ensures final field installation will be hassle-free. The tower can be shipped in pieces and assembled on site as well.
- Two large access doors provides non-confining, quick visual inspection of cold water basin, internal structure, drift eliminators and mechanical equipment in the plenum area.
- High Efficiency Axial Fan Adjustable-pitch fan blades permit maximum utilization of rated horsepower and allows field adjustments to optimize cooling tower performance.
- System 5 Geareducer The Geareducer option requires no oil changes for five full years. The lowest maintenance requirements in the industry. Reduced waste stream and environmental impact. Independent testing has proven a Marley Geareducer is up to 12 dBA quieter than the gearboxes used by most other cooling tower manufacturers.
- Fan Motor TEFC 1.15 service factor, horizontal-shaft motor designed to Marley specifications for cooling tower duty. Specially insulated for humid cooling tower service.
- SofTork Coupling Absorbs excessive shock loads at start-up—forgives minor misalignment between the motor and Geareducer. This coupling is specifically designed for Variable Frequency Drive operation.
- Five-Year Mechanical Warranty Five-year total mechanical equipment warranty including mechanical equipment support, plus our exclusive 5-year maintenance-free System 5 Geareducer.
- Single Side Inlet Connection All piping from the inlet connection to the distribution basins is part of the tower package.
- Guardrail and Ladder provides sturdy and stable access to the top of your cooling tower. Ladder safety cages and ladder extensions are also available.
- Mechanical Access Door Platform provides internal ladder to elevated bar-grating platform with guardrail, facilitates maintenance access. Exterior platform with ladder and guardrail also available for outside motor option. Modular tower only.
- Motor Location Outside easily accessible and is not subjected to the constant humidity that exists inside the tower plenum. This option uses a Marley fullfloating stainless steel driveshaft.
- Variable Flow Distribution Basins allow significant variations in flow rates while protecting the cooling tower from the disadvantages of poor water distribution—icing, fill scaling and erratic performance. Permits the operator to stage chillers and pumps, and still circulate water efficiently over all cooling tower cells with the benefit of dramatically reduced fan hp for a given heat load.
- Factory-Installed Terminal Control Box provides a single location for all controls wiring.
- Control Systems ranges in sophistication from standard fan starters and disconnects to Programmable Logic Controllers that work in conjunction with your building or process system.
- Variable Speed Drive provides the ultimate in temperature control, energy management, sound control and mechanical equipment longevity.
- Solid State Water Level Control Package monitor basin water level with solenoid-valve water makeup. Configurations include makeup along with high and low water level alarm and cutoff and electric basin heater cutoff.
- Welded Stainless Steel Collection Basin all collection basin parts exposed to the circulating water including structural members projecting into the basin, plus attaching hardware, and all basin options, including sumps are heavy-gauge series 300 stainless steel. Galvanized steel tower option.
- Stainless Steel Distribution Basins corrosion is usually most aggressive in the hot water distribution basins. Stainless steel provides long, trouble-free service life. Galvanized steel tower option.
- Extended Geareducer Oil Line includes a dipstick to check Geareducer oil level. Located at the fan deck level near the side of the tower.